1.happening at a time subsequent to a reference time
e.g. he apologized subsequently
he's going to the store but he'll be back herelater
it didn't happen until afterward
two hours after that
Synonym: subsequentlyafterwardsafterwardafterlater on
2.at some eventual time in the future
e.g. By and by he'll understand
I'll see youlater
Synonym: by and by
3.comparative of the adverb `late'
e.g. he stayedlater than you did
Later is the comparative oflate.
You uselater to refer to a time or situation that is after the one that you have been talking about or after the present one.
e.g. He resigned ten yearslater...
e.g. I'll join youlater...
You uselater to refer to an event, period of time, or other thing which comes after the one that you have been talking about or after the present one.
e.g. At alater news conference, he said differences should not be dramatized...
e.g. The competition should have been rescheduled for alater date...
You uselater to refer to the last part of someone's life or career or the last part of a period of history.
e.g. He found happiness inlater life...
e.g. In hislater years he wrote very little...
5. see also: late
6. sooner orlater -> see soonerYou useafter,afterwards, andlater to talk about things that happen following the time when you are speaking, or following a particular event. You can uselater to refer to a time or situation that follows the time when you are speaking.I'll go and see her later. 'A little', 'much', and 'not much' can also be used withlater.A little later, the lights went out... I learned all this much later. Expressions such as 'not long' and 'shortly' can also be used withafter.After dinner she spoke to him... I returned to England after visiting India... Shortly after, she called me.Afterwards can be used when you do not need to mention the particular time or event.Afterwards we went to a night club. You can also use words such as 'soon' and 'shortly' withafterwards.Soon afterwards, he came to the clinic. You can useafter,afterwards, orlater following a phrase that mentions a period of time, in order to say when something happens. ...five years after his death... She wrote about it six years afterwards... Ten minutes later he left the house.
1. 后来：改变 中文 分析 后来later, a 变更到 L 前 联想记忆 后来(later)改变了 改变了(alter)计划 后来 改变了 语境记忆:They burst out laughing.他们 突然大笑起来.
2. 后：不由得让我忽略了某些出于个人理想主义的极端行为,比如说为了理想而可能会涂及无辜民众的生命,而我们的V先生会毫不犹豫的选择kill,还有对Natalie的觉醒的催化手段实属强硬,甚至不近人情到了残酷的境地. Promise? Commitment? 稍后(later)再谈吧.
3. 稍后：选择稍后 (Later) 以在列表中选择期望的复制日期与时间. 选择计划 (Schedule) 以在未来的某个时间复制数据,如非工作时间或周末. [2007 年 4 月的 DPM 2007 beta 2 版本可用]打开 DPM 管理员控制台(启动、所有程序、微软系统中心数据保护管理器 (Start,
4. 以后版本解决：x)l以后版本解决(Later)l保留(Remind)l重复(Duplicate)l无法重现(Worksforme)2Email设置(Email Settings)4用户权限(Permissions)你可以在此查看自己账号现在的权限严重性(Severity)顾名思义就是软件缺陷对软件质量的破坏程度,
A：I‘m sorry, but I have to cancel out luncheon appointment.
B：I‘m sorry to hear that.
A：I have pressing business to attend to .
B：No problem. we‘ll make itlater in the month .
A：Is Mary there?
B：Mary is out right now.
A：When will she be back?
B：I've no idear.Why don't you call backlater this afternoon?
A：Will it be too late if I call around 10:00 this evening?
B：You'd better call a litter earlier.
A：How about 8 o'clock?
B：That will be fine.
B：What leadership qualities did you develop as an administrative personnel？
A：I feel that learning how to motivate people and to work together as a team will be the major goal of my leadership./I have refined my management style by using an open-door policy.
B：How do you normally handle criticism？
A：Silence is golden. Just don't say anything; otherwise the situation could become worse. I do, however, accept constructive criticism. /When we cool off, we will discuss itlater.
1. later on : 稍后；
2. no later than : 不迟于；
误 a just〔soon,shortly〕 later
正 a little〔much〕 later
析 later不可用just, soon, shortly, immediately等词修饰,但可用little或much等来修饰。我将在一周之后再给你打电话。
误 I'll call again a week later.
正 I'll call again in a week.一年之后,他作为一个英雄回来了。
误 He came back as a hero in a year.
正 He came back as a hero a year later.
析 later不可用于说明“从说话时算起若干时间之后”,应该用in a year, in a week等,只有在指“从过去或将来某一时刻算起若干时间以后”时才可用later。她一定是个55岁以上的女人。
误 She must be a woman in her later fifties.
正 She must be a woman in her late fifties.
析 表示“55岁以上接近60岁”用in one's late fifties,而不用later。
Both apps, however, werelater scrapped, after Microsoft said it had used their best features in its own products.
Little more than a decadelater, the share of imports was 25.8 percent.
Hill's pressurelater led to the creation of national parks and green belts.
1. We will discuss this in detail in alater chapter.
1. I will see youlater.
2. I went to bedlater than usual.
3. I'll tell youlater.
1. I'll tell you all about itlater on.